Friday, February 28, 2014

Window Shopping

I love window shopping via Zillow. It's a new past time that I keep finding new ways to enjoy. At first, I checked on the pricing of houses near me to see if I was tempted to sell my sweet house. So far I've not really been tempted. But I had a weird moment at one point where I allowed the "search" to include homes out of my price range. Some were way out of my range, as in "never gonna happen". But with online marketing, I can tour any home (virtually) without being interrogated to see if I can afford to even look at the house, much less step in the front door.

About a year ago my husband and I went to a neighborhood that has wonderfully eclectic homes and we took pics. I can't share them today because I can't find them. I've yet to master the art of organizing digital information. 

But, I can show you one of the houses that I love to look at and have always wanted to see inside. Here it is:


This jewel was built in 1925 and has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. The real estate listing description is below:
Designed by George Watts Carr, this stylish Tudor enchants with its arched doorways, windows, and LR fireplace. High ceilings and hardwoods throughout. Polygonal tower creates a unique rounded family room. Renovated kitchen w/granite leads to butler's pantry and breakfast room. Entertain on the private cover patio or by fire pit, flat fenced backyard.
It sounds completely dreamy and the photos do not disappoint.
The notation in the listing about being designed by George Watts Carr piqued my curiosity. I felt I should know more about him. Turns out that Mr. Carr is credited with having the greatest single role of any architect in creating a period revival look in this neighborhood. 
My research says that Carr was comfortable with all of the architectural styles of the time. For instance, he was commissioned to design an English Manor Revival estate which is evidently well known (I will have to investigate). Carr's popular revival styles included: Colonial, Tudor and English Cottage.
With my new research, I also learned about the neighborhood's history. In the early 1920s, the area's farmland was purchased with the idea of creating homes to lure successful professionals to leave their downtown Victorian-era neighborhoods for country club living with a golf course, tennis courts and pool. Before the exodus away from town, the downtown neighborhoods were considered to be very prestigious. 
In the '20s Federal government policies as well as utilities and banking industries aggressively promoted sale and subdivision of farmland. Suburban living was marketed as the new ideal for families with both money and leisure time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!