Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Where We Write

As I mentioned on Sunday night (Monday Morning), I've joined a Blogging Campaign.  It's my first time so I don't know what to expect. So far, I have been exposed to a core group of bloggers that share some of my interests. In turn, bloggers are also introduced to me. The theory is that if I share an interest with these fellow bloggers, we may also share an audience.  So, there are several bloggers that are shown in the "Following Me" category on the left sidebar.  If you enjoy my blog...or blogs in general, you may enjoy their blogs as well. 

So...after you read my blog post(s), you may want to check out the blogs of my colleagues. I can tell you is that I have read each of the blogs of my followers and I am hooked. The only downside I can see about the campaign is that now I have even more really good bloggers that are grabbing my attention.  Which is not really a downside. I find myself wanting to read not just the most recent post(s) but as many previous posts as I can read in a single sitting. Yeah, like I said, I'm hooked.

In addition to finding pure enjoyment in these new blogs, I'm following, I'm finding new sparks of inspiration. I read a blog and I'm like: "Yeah! I get that!" And I want to go home and write.

So, today, I'm giving a shout out to Megan of the blog: Paws Fangs and Smiles. Specifically, the first post of hers I read was: "Where Do You Write?".  The blog had a photo of a really cool desk.  A really cool desk (go take a peek and come right back). Anyway, it got me thinking...where do "we" (the royal "we") write? I've written in many places...and I will mention them as we go on. But I find that I find it fascinating to see where others write. 

A while back I stumbled upon this post:  "Where I Write" by Nova Ren Suma. This post stuck with me. It moved me somehow. I ran across the post earlier this year and thought: "Cool. I'd like to write there". Then several months later, I had a vague memory of a post I'd read about an NYC writer's loft. I wanted to read it again. --I wanted to imagine myself there. I needed the visual to get back to what I imagine to be my zen place.  I did not immediately remember where I had seen this. After several days (yeah, days) of wracking my brain and combing my Internet history logs, I started to think I would not find it. I became possessed to find the blog.  Well...my work to find and bookmark this blog is a gift I give to you. 

Since Nova wrote this particular post, she's written several others that are about different places that she's written.  I'd love to visit every one of those places. You'll see that Nova has published several YA novels. They are now on my list of books to read.

Coincidentally, on Sunday, another of my new blogger friends, Kimberly Zook of Zook Book Nookwas also thinking about where writers write.  Her post "Writer-Mamas Favorite Places" also resonated with me.  I especially like her photos of where she writes. With several photos, I was like..."Huh...I do that too".

This post is longer than I planned and I still have so much I want to say. Like, I want to tell you about my visit to Margaret Mitchell's house. I saw the desk and the typewriter where she wrote Gone With The Wind. --Actually, the furniture and the typewriter may be replicas (I can't remember), but the house and the window...all real. 
[They did not allow us to photograph....so I have to use photos from the Margaret Mitchell House Museum site.]

And, of course, I can't resist a photo of Carrie Bradshaw sitting at her window...writing at night. (Or is she really reading blogs?). I really get that though.  Writing at night. My muse strikes and doesn't let go until 1:00 a.m. many nights. 

I promised to tell you about where I write...but, I haven't been able to find a single photo of me writing. Or even of my prior writing desks...and I've had a couple.  So, I will have to keep looking and share with you another time. I did, however, find a photo of me from MANY years ago. The photo is from my Husband's and my first apartment.  I was sitting at our entertainment center talking on the phone. I found very many photos of me talking on the phone.  None of me writing, but many of me on the phone...go figure.

Anyway, I've put some labels on the photo of some items we actually owned. Some of the items are making a come back as "Retro", which goes to show: I was cool before cool was retro.

15 comments:

  1. That really was a cool desk wasn't it? It needs sparkles though. (Think Taylor Swift's guitar, only orange!)

    Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is an excellent idea for a post as the campaign starts up. You've inspired me to do a quick post tonight and include some pictures of my writer's cave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from a fellow campaigner - Humor (HA!). Looking forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got me a teensy writing space, but I'm campaigning hard for space of my own. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging keeps me sane and records my crazy history at the same time. What could be better than that?
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you stay up too late reading good blogs too, huh? I can't read and write at the same time, but I can read and walk at the same time. People see me going around the block with book in hand and can't figure how I do it. It's not writer's block, it's reader's block. Ha! Hi from the fellow campaigner with Katrina's picture. Yup, that was me. Couldn't pose and work at the same time, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fellow Campaigner here. No idea what to expect either but already been introduced to some very interesting people. Can't wait to see what comes next.

    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't show where you where i write because I'm afraid the health department will complain abuot the cold pizza and dog on the same couch with me an open Mt Dew.

    :)

    Hi Campaigner!!

    Tirzah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kimberly, Greetings from your newest follower. Just linked over from the Campaign. I'm glad you said what you did in this post re looking into the followers of a favorite blogger. I do that often, and I've found some great sites. Blogging and the Campaign drive home the name of this landscape we share: the worldwide WEB. A web indeed, but a happy trap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I'm also a Campaigner who popped by to say hello.

    My husband and I both work at home, so he works in the sunroom while I write in the living room. I have a comfy sofa to lounge on and a little table for drinks and snacks. I sat at a desk in my corporate job for a zillion years, and I can't bring myself to sit at a desk ever again!

    Good luck with the Campaign! And yes, I know what you mean about all these wonderful blogs! I just hope I can squeeze some writing time in between all the reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey I'm in your campaign group (40). Stopping by to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello from the campaign! I hear you about getting sucked into blogs and reading for too long-- I do that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi fellow humor campaigner. Just joined your site :)I had to sign in as anonymous for some strange reason but I am not anoymous :) Jane Still www.janeisfeldstill.blogspot.com is my weekly humor blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, I'm another campaigner just dropping in!

    I've actually been planning a post about what I call my 'writing corner' for a while now, and it's going live on Wednesday. With pictures :D

    I wish I had my own office, but I don't yet . . . have to get a house first!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I am so glad I stopped to visit. For some reason I am obsessed where others write. I'm hoping to visit Carl Sandberg's home and Thomas Wolfe's this weekend. I created a little writing office for myself and it helps to come to a room all mine and write.

    Hugs!!! from a fellow NCian!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!