Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Cruise Thoughts {Last One}

One thing I've never heard anyone tell you about a cruise is: If you have an interior room, like we did, when you turn off the lights it is completely dark. Completely! 

What I learned from this is that a perfectly dark room makes for the BEST sleeping. 

I should mention that by day two I was feeling the fatigue of travel. After all, just two days before we were at the airport at the unreasonable hour of 4:00 in the morning. 

Interestingly, I was up and out before 8:00 a.m. each morning. That must happen when you have the best sleep in a perfectly dark room.  That, and the promise of a hot breakfast in the dining room. 

The shore excursion for Day 2 was Cozumel. Arrival in Cozumel was early afternoon and excursion time lasted until about nine at night. By the time we docked, I was feeling languid and desperately wanted to be alone with my book. Danielle and her friends hadn't made specific plans for what they would do in Cozumel. The overall plan was to go see what there was to see and then decide. That sounded like a good plan so I told Danielle I would hang back and catch up with them later. I figured we had so much time to be in Cozumel that I was sure I would run into them.

Then I thought..."Hey, I wonder what it would be like to be on the ship when most everyone else has gone ashore." So my "new plan" was to check this out before going out on the Cozumel adventure. But first, a little time to myself on the secluded deck that no one knew about. I snapped the pics from the boat. It was wonderfully breezy on the deck. The kind of breezy that feels amazing while reading a book. The kind of breezy that reminds you of summer days in a hammock. I could not have been more content.

After a while, who knows how long, an announcement I didn't expect was made. It was something like: "If you plan on going ashore please make your way to the gangway now. We will be closing the gangway in approximately 15 minutes." 

Huh! Okay...new, new plan. Stay on ship. Enjoy the solitude. 

You know what? It was great. I went to the dining room for dinner. --I was the only one in our group there. There were very few people in the dining room. I started out with chicken soup which was perfect. I was starting to get a cold and the soup was comforting. I got to know the two people working in my section. They shared interesting stories about what it's like to live and work on a ship. And they told me about their families "back home". 

Jordan didn't come on the cruise. But he wanted me to experience being on the water in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight. So I made a point to spend time outside one evening that we were at sea. I went up to one of the top decks for the view and the breeze. And I looked out as we glided along. I took this photo. That is the ocean and sky. No land in sight.          
It was pretty awesome.


~Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!