Thursday, June 11, 2015

What I've Been Reading

I mentioned in my Cruise Thoughts post that I spent some time reading a book on the ship. I spent one of the late afternoons on the "secret deck" with a view of Cozumel and of the ocean with the nicest breeze. It was bliss. 

I finally read Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? I really can't explain how/why it took me so long to get this book. I knew I wanted to read it as soon as it hit the stores. [How in the world did it take me four years?]

Spoiler Alert: I loved the book.  
Do you remember Mindy as Kelly Kapoor on The Office? I only watched the show sporadically, but Kelly was fun to watch. She was so unaffected by things. I loved that.

Of course, I'm hooked on The Mindy Project. We binge watch it on demand. I love this character too.  LOVE!

I sound like I'm gushing, but I really enjoy her sense of humor and her writing style. In "Everyone Hanging Out...", Kaling's voice really comes through. When I read it it was as though I had an audio book in my head. I heard her voice and saw her expressions. She is so funny.

She is the perfect combination of funny and vulnerable. I love that she says what she thinks. I also love seeing that my own cynical thoughts are not only shared but spoken. Case in point: Sunrises.

Here are a few of Mindy's nuggets that I admire.

Getting Ahead:
“...write your own part. It is the only way I've gotten anywhere. It is much harder work, but sometimes you have to take destiny into your own hands. It forces you to think about what your strengths really are, and once you find them, you can showcase them, and no one can stop you.” ― Mindy KalingIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
How to Be A Friend: 
“IF YOU’RE DEPRESSED, I WILL BE THERE FOR YOU As everyone knows, depressed people are some of the most boring people in the world. I know this because when I was depressed, people fled. Except my best friends. I will be there for you during your horrible break-up, or getting fired from your job, or if you’re just having a bad couple of months or year. I will hate it and find you really tedious, but I promise I won’t abandon you.” ― Mindy KalingIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
Courage:
"I will impart to my children is “If you’re scared of something, that isn’t a sign that you have to do it. It probably means you shouldn’t do it. Call Dad or Mom immediately.” ― Mindy KalingIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
~Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!