Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Mystery of the Bird Food Bandit

The squirrel can't be the only bird food thief! Right?  You remember that I was driven to crazy antics because a Pesky Squirrel was TAUNTING me. Not long after my meltdown {involving a broom} my sleuthing husband caught Pesky Squirrel in the act of outwitting us.


Hubby waited and watched {just like a well-trained detective on stake out}. Pesky navigated onto the bird feeder even after our carefully considered feeder placement and newly purchased squirrel baffle. (!)  The squirrel sting was successful and hubby foiled future thefts {moved lawn chair}.

Later, my wonderful dad came to cut back tree limbs to further prevent squirrel thievery.  I think Dad got tired of my hysterical phone calls felt sorry for me. Now with the trimmed tree limbs, there was simply no way we would lose more bird food to the conniving squirrels. Just no way.

Yep, Hubs and I were feeling quite smug. No more bird food for you Pesky Squirrel!

We were feeling smug until we saw this: ===============>
A hole in the back porch screen!  The hole was made from the outside. And, we found the bird seed we had just bought. It was open and partially eaten!

Seriously! A squirrel was bold enough to come INTO the house.  Come into the enclosed porch! We were home, just not in the kitchen to see the mischief! This squirrel just was not to be deterred.  This bird seed?  Must be like crack for squirrels!  It causes squirrels to commit bolder crimes.
I saw evidence that my hubby used his own creative devices to repair the screen and keep the home safe from invaders. {Although, we never spoke of this.}

So, Hubby had to work extremely hard to outsmart the squirrel.  All this is so we can continue to afford to feed the beautiful birds that grace our yard.

But, the birds go crazy for the sunflower seeds.  We seem to never be able to fill the feeder fast enough. If we fill the feeder in the morning...the next morning it is empty.

Last night hubby diligently sat on stakeout again.
This is who he caught red-handed:

And so we start again...


Hope all is well in your backyard.


9 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm so glad you got a picture of the racoon! Thats so cool, but it sucks that he's stealing the food! What are you going to do to fix this problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Raccoons actually scare me. Thank goodness I think they only come out at night. We don't know what we will do. I think we just have to fill the feeder up in the morning and make sure that it's pretty empty in the evening. EEk.

      Delete
  2. This is hilarious! Those critters can be oh, so clever!

    I'm in the midst of moving, and the garden has a nice deer fence around it, but there are also some tree limbs that extend into the gardens. I've been eyeing this suspiciously as a way to make it easy for the squirrels, so I'm going to trim things up. We've already seen raccoons in the new neighborhood, so we will need to stay vigilant for them as well. I had planned to put out some bird feeders, so I will keep this post in mind!

    *still chuckling*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this!! I can't wait to hear how you like Seattle. My hub and dtr lived in the area for 7 years. Loved it. Moved back to NC to be near family. Neat thing is we love this too.

      Delete
  3. That is so fun that you were able to catch a picture of that little rascal :)
    Thanks for the shout out on my linky party too :)

    Cheers ,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, a raccoon! I've never seen one before! Have you found a way to keep him away?

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raccoons sort of scare me. Many years ago when I was out walking at night a raccoon was in my neighbor's yard and he just stopped and stared at me. I just stopped too. It was incredibly big...like a small dog. I have no idea how to keep him out. As long as he's here when I'm not out there I think I'm okay with it. I just don't like that he steals the bird food. :)

      Delete
  5. Squirrels are just plain evil! Ever listen to the baby screams - ugh? And, of course, figures that he teamed up with the racoon. I think we all fight that perpetual battle of keeping these pests OUT! Last year, I had a squirrel that decided to have her babies in our shed and use the stuffing from our cushions for the nest. WHAT A MESS!!!
    Found you from the Linky Follower Blog Hop at Its' So Very Cheri. Have a Great Weekend!
    http://longislandchick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by. If it's not squirrels it's raccoons! Right? And if it's not raccoons it's deer or rabbits. --I think rabbits are cute though, so I give them a lot of slack.

      Delete

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!