Saturday, September 8, 2012

D's Walks for Cancer Awareness

Isn't this just the cutest picture That's my mother wearing the hat and gloves. It makes me happy just looking at the lovely green dress and jacket.

My two sisters and I are with Mom taking our Easter morning picture.  (Dad is behind the camera.) I talk about my sisters quite a lot. We are very close in age. I'm the redhead on the far right. Sis is on the left and Sissy is in the chair. {Aren't we just too cute for words?}

Jump ahead many years...and there I am with a daughter of my own. (Cute, right?) Sometimes Daughter reminds me so much of Sissy. They have very similar points of view. Somehow, they see things the same way and express themselves very similarly. 

Many, many happy memories of hanging out with sisters as well as cousins growing up. That's one of the neat things about growing up walking distance from where your parents grew up. 

Hubs and I weren't the "stay in your hometown" kind of couple when we got married and started making a life. So, until two years ago, we never lived in the same town I grew up in. We enjoyed our "big city" lives we built.
We are also enjoying being "home" now.

All of this is to tell you that today I'm feeling quite happy to be living so close family. So many happy moments include Daughter and my sisters as well as cousins and Mamacita.

You may remember I talked about Danielle (aka Daughter) signing us up for the Ovarian Cancer Awareness walk (last year).  Well, this year we are participating in the Avon Breast Cancer Awareness walk. This walk takes place in several cities at different times of the year. Our walk is in NC and takes place in October. Let me clarify. Danielle is WALKING.  I am part of the CREW

Both Danielle and I are passionate about supporting cancer awareness and fundraising. So many people are touched by cancer. Luckily, more and more people are able to survive and live full lives. I believe that is a testament to the advances made by research. We lost our mother to cancer (Ovarian). She was much too young. I have a friend that is a breast cancer survivor. My daughter works for a surgeon and sees many breast cancer survivors as part of her job. 

So, next month, just 48 days from now...Daughter & I will be wearing pink. She will be walking 39 miles. I will be doing whatever is required to support the effort. And, we will both be sleeping in a pink tent. 

To do this, we must raise at least $1800. We are less than $500 away from this goal. If you would like to donate, please use the donation link below. 

Any cancer is horrific. I firmly believe that when we support research and awareness for one type of cancer, we are vicariously supporting research and awareness for all cancers. I hope you will consider helping us reach our goal so that we can go walk our bootie off (Danielle's bootie) for a really good cause.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great undertaking! it's hard to support all the causes that you want to. A good friend of mine has MS and so I join her MS Walk team and focus my fundraising efforts there, but donate to the other causes (like breast cancer) that I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by & leaving a comment. --I'm a little nervous about the weekend.

      Delete

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!