Friday, May 29, 2015

Owning a Practice

I'm feeling pretty proud of myself lately. I have been completely committed to my 2015 Goals. Remember I was sort of nervous to even identify goals (resolutions)? Well, 5 months into 2015 and I have really lived these goals.

* Own a workout habit.
I am owning YOGA! I joined a yoga studio and I go at least three times a week.

* Consistently get 8 hours of sleep...more if needed. 
I've been more consistent with my sleep than ever before. The hot yoga workout each evening (or at least 3 evenings) helps me get a really good restful sleep. I just feel better.

* Find JOY in little things. Everyday. 
I try to live with joy. My workout habit has also helped me "shake off" the little things. The workout endorphins are real.

I'm seeing some pretty cool changes from my working out.  For yoga, the word "practice" is used instead of "workout". Which, maybe that's an unconscious reason that I've been so consistent with it. It sounds more appealing when I  think of going to practice my new skills instead of thinking I'm going to WORK Out.  The psychology of what I "name" my activity probably affects (even unconsciously) how I feel about it. 

What I've found is that, for me, yoga really is practice. Today I can achieve poses that I couldn't imagine in February. My legs are stronger and that all-important CORE has gotten stronger. Another thing that has improved is my lung capacity. Lots of good things there.

Image by: Stuart Mills
Via: FreeDigitalPhotos.Net
"My" yoga studio has people of all levels. There are a few newbies like me mixed in with people who have practiced consistently for a very long time. I feel completely comfortable taking a modification when I need one. In fact I"m sort of proud of myself for knowing what I need and not being shy to make my own adjustments. I realize that the advanced poses were achieved over time. My own body is more flexible today than it was a month ago. 

I'm conscious of the fact that any type of exercise is really easy to fall by the wayside. When I was going to the gym if I missed going one day it was easier to skip the next day (and so on). Even now, I have to make the decision to go to yoga each time. I've found that if I go to yoga when I really don't want to...I am rewarded by getting re-energized. One of my friends said it best when she said "I've never taken a class that I've regretted."

That's all for now.  

~Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!