Saturday, January 16, 2016

Word of the Year


Last year my word of the year was "Relax". Looking back, I don't know how much of an influence the word was. I think last year was the first time I ventured into the idea of declaring a word of the year. I guess I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work. Do you meditate on the word? Do you make it a mantra? Do you use it to help during decision moments? I guess it's like choosing a theme for the year. 

Anyway, I think in the last few years I've improved my ability to relax. And yes, I think that's important. Looking back, I think I did a decent job of relaxing in 2015.  I think my intent was more than "just chillin'". I think I was going for the idea of relaxing in situations. You know, not get anxious too early. I meant that's what Aaron Rodgers was saying, right? Relax, we've got time, we're going to be okay.

I also think I was thinking the word relax could mean "don't worry". I'm going to say I was giving myself permission to relax in every sense of the word.

I enjoyed a special (cruise) vacation with my daughter. I really enjoyed that. One of the best things was that I carved out small moments of "me" time. One day I chose to stay on the ship instead of going ashore. I felt like I was on my own private ship. It was exactly what I wanted/needed. I gave myself permission to enjoy my vacation unconventionally.

Our weekend in Asheville was also perfect. We got to hang out with some of our favorite people. We got to explore artist studios. We stayed in our first Airbnb, which had the most comfortable bed I think I've ever slept in. 

I have chosen a word for 2016. It came to me earlier this month. I actually tried to fight it.  I thought it had negative connotations but the word would not leave my consciousness. I decided to accept my word. The word is  Surrender

This year I did create a word cloud for my word. I actually think I may have thrown a few words in the cloud that may not apply. But...maybe they all apply. When I was making the cloud my mind was thinking about yoga practice. That the best practices are ones where you surrender to the present and don't try to force things. To surrender you allow things to unfold (in yoga and in life) without trying to influence the results. I'm thinking that surrender is a deeper form of the word "relax". 






That is all for now.

~Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!