Sunday, April 1, 2012

I {heart} April Fool's Day


What can I tell ya? I'm a romantic at heart. Today (4/1/12) is my 28th wedding anniversary.  I know, I know...I'm way too young for that to be true.  But...in fact, it is true.

Hubster and I met in college. He was the photo editor of the newspaper. I was the associate editor of the yearbook. Because all of the college publications were on the same hall of the student union, and because we all shared a dark room as well as other resources, I had plenty of occasions to interact with him. In fact, he came to my rescue at least once.

Working late into the night, my yearbook editor and I realized we did not have as many photographs as we thought to fill the layouts that were due. MM (the editor) and I ended up working through the night to get ready for the publisher's pick up that was scheduled to be first thing Monday morning.

Lucky for me, Future Hubs was at the student union that evening. He was hanging out in the lounge area (with the TV)...so I gathered up my courage to actually have more than a two-minute conversation. In fact, I had to ask him for something...ask him for additional photographs that we could use in the yearbook.  Photographs that may have previously been in the student paper, or never published...whatever, I just needed photographs.

He saved me that night. He gave us enough photographs to make the publisher happy. And somehow, in his quiet competence, he sort of won my heart.

Our first "date" was April 1st of the same year. Again, we both found ourselves at the student publications on a Thursday night. At some point, I offered for Future Hubs to take me out for pizza. I'm sweet like that. I was like: "Hey, I'm hungry. You hungry? How about we go out for pizza. You can drive, right?"

And the rest, as they say, is history.


14 comments:

  1. Aww what a cute story. It is a nice distraction as I wrap my head around this paper I do not want to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this. :) I hope you can do some of your paper writing outside. (If it's still pretty out).

      Delete
  2. What an adorable story, I love it! Happy (belated) anniversary! :D

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) We can't believe the time has flown.

      Delete
  3. AWWWW.... My sweet, still head over heels after 28 years, parents! So proud to say that my parents are still happily married after 28 years! Hope thats me and my hubby someday, one year down, just 27 more to go.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are off to a good start. I think the key is choosing the person that you enjoy spending time with. :)

      Delete
  4. Stopping over from Live, Laugh, Rowe. I heard you're from NC. Did y'all meet at a NC school? My husband and I are from NC. He's currently doing grad courses at NCSU. Happy 28th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, We met at UNC-Greensboro. We lived in G'boro after getting married and moved several places before coming "home". We lived in VA. Beach for 3 years, Charlotte for 10 years and Seattle for 7 years. I just stopped over at your blog.

      Delete
  5. WOW, 28 years!? Congratulations! Love that photo!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!