Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thankful for Snapshots


I'm lucky to have so many photos from babyhood. I'm not sure that all young parents (at that time) took as many photographs as my parents. It was back in the days of film. Film and getting photos developed was expensive. But, my parents (mostly my Mom) took and saved lots of pictures. She got several sets of each photo so she could write the date on the back and send copies to all the family "back home". And, for every photo she sent in a letter, she kept at least one.


These photos were kept in a gift box--a large square hat box (of sorts). When I say in a box, I do not mean with any sort of filing system. I mean they were simply in the box and could be looked at randomly.

My parents lived in Massachusetts when I was born. They were still there when Sis was born. The rest of their family was still in their hometown in NC. So, my mother experienced young motherhood much like I did...alone in a faraway place. When Sissy was born, my parents were moving the family to Florida. We were in "far away" places until I turned five.

I love being able to look through these old photos. When I look at them now I am more focused on the parents in the photographs. When I was a child looking at our photos, I was always focused on the "babies". But now, I want to know more about the parents that brought these babies into the world.

That may sound like an odd thing to say. I mean, they are my parents. Of course, I know who my parents are and were. But, ah...I'm not so sure I do.

I know I've shared that my mother died when I was a teenager. She was sick for a few years before we lost her. So, everyone's normal changed in a matter of weeks. They changed from having a Mom that could (and did) dance and sing and chase and laugh. They changed from having a Dad who teased Mom and made them both laugh until tears came to their eyes. Now it was love in quiet ways. Bringing Mom a grape ice pop or a glass of frozen ice chips was one of the things my Dad did so often to help make Mom feel better.
I saw my parents love each other so sweetly my entire childhood. And, I saw and experienced so much laughter when Mom was well. But, since we lost her so young, I didn't get the chance to know her through my adult eyes.

I know my Dad is tender-hearted. {Please do not tell him I said that.} He loved and took care of my Mom and I know he made her so happy.

I also know that my sisters and I made her happy. I know this because I remember her joyous hugs and laughter. And I know this because she made me so incredibly happy. I don't think you can make someone else happy if you aren't happy. My mother had so much fun being a mother. She had so much fun living her everyday life.

I know Mom was happy because of my memory. But also, because of these photographs. See those grins?

I'm so grateful for snapshots. When I look at them in context, they tell a story that I didn't otherwise know. Like...confirming that Mom loved mothering. (Well I knew that). Even at midnight feedings, she was smiling. I also think it's neat to realize that Dad was up with her (in the middle of the night). He was there to take her picture. They were in this whole parenting thing together. I think that is pretty cool...especially for their generation.

10 comments:

  1. I am so happy you have those memories and pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it cool that we can now take as many photos as we want and share them so easily now.

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful story told through your pictures. Your mother looks truly happy in every picture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. :) It's so nice to hear that the pictures tell the story well.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful pictures! You are very lucky to have them. Although I'm sure it was difficult to lose your mom when you were so young, it's great that she captured so many photos of her family to help you remember her and your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. They are good photos. I'm just so glad they didn't get lost. It was sad to lose her when we were young. Now that I'm an adult I realize she was young too! But she loved us fiercely in the short time we had her. And, we knew in our bones we were loved and what "happy" feels like. That's a great gift!

      Delete
  4. This post made my eyes water a little, it makes me sad that you lost your mom at such a young age, and it makes me sad that i never met my grandmother, but it makes me that much more thankfull to have you in my life! I'm glad you have these pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetie. Don't be sad. She was sweet and fun and funny! And taught me how to be a fun Mom...and we both know I'm a really fun Mom. Love you.!

      Delete
  5. These pictures are such treasures!!! I wish I had baby pictures! They are few and far between!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky that we have the baby pics. :) I love seeing how each of our personalities were already shaping even when we were toddler. :)

      Delete

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!