Monday, January 28, 2013

Sharing a Hobby

D came over Saturday. She brought Starbucks' lattes and lemon loaf and banana nut bread. What a good daughter! Here she is. Isn't she beautiful? 

I love when she comes over. She and I usually laugh so hard that I end up having to use my asthma inhaler. At one point yesterday, Jordan said, "Okay Danielle, stop being funny for a few minutes so your Mom can catch her breath". Which...only made me laugh more. 
As I was looking through some pics I realized that we almost always get a pic of just the two of us when we finish a painting at the Painting Studio. I thought it would be cool to put them all in a post to see how/if we have changed from one time to the next.
You may remember that this was our first painting. One of the things I noticed that very first time is how different our painting styles are. My hand is much less steady which results in a more impressionistic {messy and less precise} picture.

I'm sort of okay with my cup here. (Though my Dad says it looks like a straw hat.) But I am so unimpressed with my wallpaper background. I did the steps as the instructor explained, but I didn't have a sense of where the steps were going. Notice Danielle's wallpaper looks very nice. 

As I type this, I realize that the painting doesn't have to stay this way. I can absolutely re-paint the background. {Stay tuned.} 


Here are the paintings we did of our doggies. I think we both did a good job on these. :)



These are our paintings of "Lover's Lane in the Rain". I have more to discuss on this painting but I may put that as a short stand-alone post.


And, one of our most recent paintings. Danielle's painting is of her second dog, Toby the Corgi. Mine is of Madison, my first poodle that Jordan and I got when we were newlyweds. Madison was with us for quite a long time. 

We did a painting of a cow, that I think is totally adorable. I don't know how we missed getting a pic of us with our paintings.


I've done a couple of paintings at the studio on my own.

And, you know that I've enjoyed painting as parallel play with both of my sisters. 

I guess my point in this post is: If you are looking for a fun activity to do together...painting on canvas has been a good one for me. 

And, as you can see from the fact that I paint at Sis's house as well as Sissy coming over to my house to paint...you can do this on your own. Canvas and paints are not a relatively inexpensive hobby. 

Oh, and my Mamacita has taken up painting too! She took a watercolor class and did the most amazing piece! Here it is:



13 comments:

  1. Those paintings are awesome! A group of friends just did a wine and painting party recently. I was not able to go. :(

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I hope you get a chance to go to the wine and painting party next time. It's so much fun.

      Delete
  2. What a fun mother-daughter tradition! I need to do something like this for my mom for her birthday. :) I love that cow painting!

    Kelly @ View Along the Way
    www.viewalongtheway.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. :) Every time my daughter and I go painting we have more fun than you can imagine. I'm a big believer in parallel play.

      Delete
  3. So fun! Art bars are popping up all over Boston. I did a night out with girlfriends in the Fall and we painted pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Art bars are cool. Don't know if you remember like 10 years ago the "new thing" was painting ceramics studios. I painted so many plates and bowls! I enjoyed that too.

      Delete
  4. How much fun! Sips and Strokes here in Alabama has been around for a while, but I must admit that acrylics really do frustrate me. I prefer oils because they are more forgiving! ;P

    Great photos of y'all's masterpieces, and I do think your daughter is beautiful like her mama!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! I know that the main reason they use acrylics at the art studios is so the paint will dry quickly and you can take it home the same day. Do you remember the ceramic shops that were popular like 10 years ago? I would go almost every Saturday. That kind of worked out because usually it was a week before the piece we painted was fired and ready.

      I have not tried oils. I gotta say I'm intrigued. Especially about the idea of them being forgiving.

      Delete
  5. OOOhhh i love your sweet cow painting!!!!! Is it for sale? Seriously!!!! I love it. It makes me smile, i love cows and the colors are so happy! Let me know. Thanks so much for stopping into my blog. Loved your comments! New follower for your awesome blog. Hope you follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be my new best friend. I love that you love my painting. You made me so happy I want to dance. --I will absolutely paint one for you. I'll send ya an email. :)

      Delete
  6. A whole family of artists! You girls all do good work (your mom too!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a good time...the cool thing is that even if you can't draw you can create beauty with shadows and illusions or just color. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!