Monday, January 26, 2015

An Autumn Afternoon in the Middle of Winter

The weekend before last was absolutely lovely. Sunny, in the low 60°s and blue skies. Saturday was a day that was meant to be outside. So...that's what we did. We went on a walkabout. 

We moved into our new place last Fall. The surrounding neighborhood is vast and lovely. There is a walking trail that goes into the woods and runs along a stream. So on Saturday, Jordan and I decided to explore the neighborhood that surrounds us and also explore the trail.

I took my camera (the good one) so I could get back into photographing. Walking around the neighborhood was a treat. I could not resist taking a picture of the porch with this weathered rocker.

There are several things I enjoy about where we live. There's a neighborhood "center" that has a park-like quality. It's basically open space with some outdoor art. This on the main road of the neighborhood. I usually take a sort of back road in and out of the neighborhood because it is closer to my place. But at least a couple of times a week I drive by this area. I love, love, love the "birdhouse tree". The whole thing is a sculpture.

How cool is that?

As you can see, I got distracted on the way to the trail...but we did actually make it to the trail. One thing we should have done (but didn't) was to actually look at the trail map at the entrance. That way we could gauge where we were in relation to where we were going. But, it was also nice not really knowing where the next bend would be. It allowed us to stay in the "now" and not think ahead to what's next on the map. 

It was really quite a lovely day. It was nice to feel the crunch of the leaves under our feet and see the sun backlighting trees that still haven't let go of their leaves. It felt like Autumn...and not mid-January.  I'll take sunny, blue sky days anytime. Especially when there is a nice breeze too.

I'm glad I took my camera along. And since we were up and out and walking...not strenuously...but not just sitting on the couch either...I get to count this as part of owning a workout habit.

My goals for 2015? They are totally happening. 

Hope you are having a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!