Monday, May 14, 2012

Guess Who Is A Regular Visitor

You may remember we had a surprise visitor earlier this Spring Hubby vigilantly sat on a stakeout to discover who was eating the bird food during the night. The squirrels were quite bold, but we were pretty sure that they are not nocturnal.

I gotta tell you, I have a {healthy} fear of raccoons.  I know they look cute in the Lone Ranger mask but I'm pretty sure that they can bite the sh*t out of someone.

Hubby and I were curious if Ranger {yeah, we named him} would come back. We hoped not....but we also sort of hoped so. We wanted to get some pics of this guy.  Do you remember how seriously he took the challenge to outsmart Pesky Squirrel?  Well, Ranger has proven to be a different sort of challenge.  After the undeniable proof that we had a raccoon stealing our songbird's food, we felt a duty to bring in the feeders each night.  We hypothesized that after finding no food for several nights Ranger would move on.

Taking in the feeders is sort of tricky for timing.  The birds are still out singing and coming to the feeder until dusk is over. We don't want to discourage them from eating, so we wait for them to become quiet before bringing in the feeders.  The thing about that is that it is often already dark and sometimes we forget.  But for at least a week, the feeder remained full overnight, so we thought, yep, Ranger moved on to another food source.

On Friday night, Jacob {poodle} and I were sitting on the couch watching TV when both Jacob and I heard a sort of clatter outside.  It's Spring, so we knew it wasn't Santa. I said to hubby:  "Hubby did you hear that?  It sounded close...like in the yard or something".  So hubby went to the window, turned on the floodlight, and Ranger was on top of the feeder.  He stopped, looked at hubby and evaluated if we were coming outside. He decided we weren't, so he went right back to eating.

Hubby wanted to get a "good" pic of this wild animal in our yard. But of course, his camera was not in the kitchen (where we can seem Ranger from the window). Hubs went about getting his camera and when he came back to photograph Ranger was climbing down from the feeder and left.  Hubs couldn't believe he missed the shot.

When I came home from work the next day, I noticed a tripod and camera set up at the kitchen window.  I didn't say anything. I knew that Hubs was going to ensure he was "ready" for the next raccoon encounter.

10 comments:

  1. This is a perfect example of why I live in a city... This would scared that bejesus out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what ya mean. I definitely don't want to be outside with him. I want all critters to be far away when I'm outside.

      Delete
  2. We had a mama bear and 3 cubs hanging out in our driveway on Friday. I'd take a raccoon any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would take a raccoon over bears too!! Especially a Mama and cubs. Scary!

      Delete
  3. omg i HATE the raccoon that are at my house!! i had to rig out trashcan so they could not drag out trash bags out and destroy them all over our lawn...and sometimes i will come outside and they will be SITTING on my car...and they will just look at me and not move! i have to throw something at them to get them to run away! I am terrified of them and i just wish they would go far far away from my house!!


    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A raccoon sitting on my car would not be a good thing. A wild animal that isn't afraid of you scares me really badly! I can't help but think of CUJO.

      Delete
  4. i would have shit myself. raccoons are a fear of mine - they are so evil! those feeders would be in the garbage if it was me, i know its dramatic, but raccoons and me just do not mix aha.

    bailey
    beingbaileyj.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not have been happy if I were outside when he happened into the yard. I'm not afraid as long as he's outside and I'm safely inside. But I don't want him to get too comfortable.

      Delete
  5. We had something killing our neighborhood cats, even one of mine. Animal control set up a large cage to try and catch the bad dog. One animal we caught was the biggest raccoon I could ever imagine. So even in a rather large city, raccoons are often at ones backdoor.

    Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about the cats being killed. That makes me too sad. I know we have to be careful of the raccoon. I have read that if they feel cornered they can be vicious.

      Delete

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!