Monday, May 28, 2012

I'll Paint {if I want to}

I definitely have more to share about Vegas.  But today, I want to share about my weekend.  Several weekends ago I wrote about painting a coffee cup at the local Painting Party Studio.  You know the one where my Dad said my cup looked like a hat?  Yeah.  Well, I said I had plans for that painting and the plans didn't include being/staying framed.  I'm still thinking on that.

But as you can see, I did feel compelled to try again.  This time on my own.

I woke up yesterday with two things on my mind:  1.  Hanging Out with my sister {the middle sister, that doesn't like her photo taken}. And  2. Finally doing the art project I had in my head for weeks.

Lucky for me, my Sister woke up with the idea of hanging out with me!  So we talked on the phone. I told her I wanted to go to Michael's {the craft store} and buy some paint supplies.  She was cool with that and was cool with me coming over to play with my art supplies create a work of art.

So, off to Michael's I went. Honestly!  That place is amazing.  My cart was full and I dropped some coin for my new obsession hobby.

Before I even made it to the canvas aisle, I saw this adorable pair of children's rain boots.  They were 50% off and they had two pairs left. {This size and on size bigger.} I LOVE rain boots.  I love photos of them, paintings of them, the entire idea of them.  So these little miniature rain boots were quickly placed {gently} in my cart.  I love that they are real boots for real little people's feet.

I also purchased these bright plastic tumblers from Michael's and decided to use them to organize my new supplies.  I decided to use the boots as the supply "holders".  I'm not sure if this is the "final" look for the boots.  It occurs to me that they could be fun places for flowers or plants.

Anyway, more luck, Martha Stewart was at Michael's.  I mean she IS at Michael's.  I think Martha is the Steve Jobs of the craft and hospitality industry.
But I digress.   The reason for the Martha crush is that she made it so dang easy to find/choose what I wanted.  I didn't have to feel like the craft-novice that I am.  I just went down the paint aisle and BAM: Painter's tape.  {And I love that Tiffany blue color Martha uses.}

And, BAM BAM, on the same aisle, an entire package of ten acrylic paints.  This saved me at least an hour of looking at the million bottles of paint to try to figure out what I wanted and which colors, etc.  I added brushes to the cart as well as a canvas and off I went to my sister's to play.

Below are the steps I used for my art project.  {I made them all up on my own. I'm cool like that.}  I'm no Martha...but I created this with Martha's supplies.  And I'm sharing as though it's good.  {Still looks like a hat to me.}




18 comments:

  1. Cute and fun art project! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those boots are so cute! I am your neighbour at Between naps on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I agree, the boots are too cute. Just checked out your blog. Cool idea!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over to my blog. :) I really love the boots. :)

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of a painting party! For my sister's Hen's we took an art class and we all painted the same red poppy field on a yellow background ... it's incredible how different the six paintings ended up being. I had so much fun! This has reminded me that I should organise to do it again! :D

    I LOVE the use of gum boots as supply holders. SUCH a cute idea - so clever!!

    And I love your mug painting - it doesn't look like a hat to me :)

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my day. So glad it doesn't look like a hat. I love that you had a painting party. My daughter & I have been going to a painting party studio (we just went last night as a matter of fact). I love how everyone's turns out differently too. I'd love to see your painting party pics. :)

      Delete
  5. So pretty & I love those little boots!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those boots are perfect! How adorable! Love your painting! Isn't is fun to just go for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to just go for it. I think I should do it more often.

      Delete
  7. What a cute idea for your scissors and things, LOVE this! Your painting is also GREAT! I wish I could paint... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those boots were too cute to pass up. You are sweet to like my painting. I get a little better with each one. You could totally paint. :)

      Delete
  8. Hey Mum, I had fun going with you to Michaels that day (despite the heat!) and I have to agree that store is addicting! I remember walking all over that store while you were shopping with my arms filled with craft ideas, and I'm so proud of myself deciding to put it all down and walk away without buying anything! I remember telling you that I wish we could just go to a craft shop and do our crafts, pay for our time and supplies, and leave.... because I tend to buy a ton of craft stuff for just one project and never use them again, which is a complete waste of money! Crafting is a great hobby, which I enjoy a lot, but damn its expensive! ;) Glad to see you had fun with your purchases though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. My problem is getting started on a craft and then not finishing it. I have to have small projects.

      Delete
  9. So cute! Those rainboots are to die for! I need to work more with paint. It's the biggest bang for your buck :) Thanks for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I love the rain boots. I almost should have showcased them. :) Thanks for having a great blog hop.

      Delete

I love comments. They make me very happy. Thanks for making me happy today!